"...look after the orphans and widows in their distress..." James 1:27 Of the more than 700,000 children in Russia classified as being "without parental care," as many as one-third reside in institutions. Thousands more are temporarily quartered in various public shelters under police jurisdiction waiting for an available space in an orphanage. Thousands of children are abandoned to the state at a rate of 113,000/year.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006


Sunday 10.15.06
Ok so internet access has been a lot harder to find than I thought, and forget about WiFi. So posting may be less frequent than I had hoped. I will date my posts while I am in Russia so you will know what day they corresspond to.
So I woke up at the customary 3:00 AM on Sunday even though I fell asleep with no problem. It would be a trip to Russia if I wasn't dead dog tired all the time. We left for church about 9:30, which was held at conlsulate or something because there really are not any Baptist churches here in St. Petersburg. However, when we got there we were told they were having a wedding so of course we stayed. It was pretty much the same as in America, but given it was at a Baptist church I guess that's what you would expect. Both the bride and groom (no that is not them in the picture) said Da everytime the preacher asked them a question so guess everything went ok.
On to lunch....
Lunch was at La Cucaracha, yes I found Mexican food in Russia! How sweet is that!?! I'm telling you now this is the best Mexican food this side of Finnland... I had a burrito which I did not regret too much as the day went on, but my favorite item on the menu had to be the "Apache Steak" which was described as "freshest steak, from freshly killed cow by our chef." Sounds good da?
All I can say is how can you pass up a Mexican restaurant in Russia called the cockroach. If you are ever here and need Mexican food I would say give it go.
Rest of the day was pretty slow, I even had time to check out the Maxidome which is basically the Russian equavalent of Home Depot so like a moth to a flame...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home