"...look after the orphans and widows in their distress..." James 1:27 Of the more than 700,000 children in Russia classified as being "without parental care," as many as one-third reside in institutions. Thousands more are temporarily quartered in various public shelters under police jurisdiction waiting for an available space in an orphanage. Thousands of children are abandoned to the state at a rate of 113,000/year.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006


10.17.06
Ok so I am all caught up and posting quickly while I can. I have Sergey and John waiting on me for dinner. Today was fantastic! We were able to spend some real quality time with the children today. The one thing we have learned though is that the kids range in age from bed babies to about 4 years old. We thought there would be some older children (5 or 6) so we have had to adjust our plan a little bit with crafts and what not. These kids just need love and human interaction. The reality is that the staff is very kind at this facility, but they cannot give each child the social interaction they need to develop properly. The more peopel these kids see and the more used to seeing other adults, especially males, the more friendly they will be when people come to look at them for adoption. That may sound strange, but it is best for these children to be adopted before they get into a orphange. The reality is that when people come to look at these kids, most are looking for a pretty, friendly, healthly child as if they were selecting a pet at a pet store rather than saving a life. If we can do anything that helps them be adopted then I am all for it. We are not exactly sharing the gospel here, but we can show Christ-like love and compassion and serve in other ways.
Tomorrow I go to Orphange 14 where I served in April. I hope to see most of the boys I worked with last time and spend a little time with them. I promised them I would come back and I want them to know I kept my promise
I have a few photos below and hopefully will have more time to post tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home