"...look after the orphans and widows in their distress..." James 1:27 Of the more than 700,000 children in Russia classified as being "without parental care," as many as one-third reside in institutions. Thousands more are temporarily quartered in various public shelters under police jurisdiction waiting for an available space in an orphanage. Thousands of children are abandoned to the state at a rate of 113,000/year.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Lost Boys 6 months later
So by what I can only describe as a "God thing" I had time today to go to orphanage 14 where I served back in April. I was very anxious and nervous that the boys I worked with last time would nto remember me or not care that I was back. However, I made them a promise that I would be back and I wanted to show them that I kept my promise.
When we got to the orphange there were to other very large groups working there that day and things were a bit hectic. However, by coincidence two of the translators I had worked with previously in April were working with these other groups today. It was great to see them again and catch up a bit. After sitting through a couple of programs one from the kids one from a church choir from Beaumont, TX I was able to get some time with my boys.
As soon as they saw me I was greeted with handshakes, hugs and smiles. I did my best with what little Russian I have picked up and spent some time with them alone which was a lot of fun for me. I was so amazed at the warm reception I recieved and it just made everything about today worthwhile. I don't always expect positive feedback from mission work, but man it sure feels great when you get it. I can't really describe how great I felt after spending some time with these guys again. I have to admit I am tearing up a bit even now as I write this.
One of the fun things I was able to do was give them some Matchbox cars. The joke last time was that they wanted the rich American (me) to buy them a car. So I reminded them of this when I saw them today and of course they remembered. I told them I bought cars for them all, and they immediately got the joke, but were pleased none the less. They were all very appreciative and all immediately started playing with these silly toy cars. It was fun for everyone. (Thanks Peanut!)
I told them I would see them again sometime next year and went on my way to the Metro station to head back to the hotel. It was hard to leave, but I had so much joy in my heart after seeing them again I feel completely recharged and ready to go back to Lomonosov tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home